First, it's important to note that Vitrium Security offers two different types of protected file outputs for document formats:
- Secure Web Viewer - a user can open this on most of today's common web browsers
- Protected PDF File - a user can open this ONLY with Adobe Reader DC, PDF-XChange or Adobe Acrobat DC on a desktop environment.
Secure Web Viewer
IMPORTANT NOTE: Unlock or open a protected document link from any device on the following web browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari
- Click on the web viewer link provided to you or copy and paste the URL into your browser
- Enter the login credentials provided to you and click Logi
NOTE: if the organization that sent you the document uses Vitrium's SSO functionality, the document may open right away and you won't see the login screen.
Protected PDF File
IMPORTANT NOTE: Unlock or open a protected PDF file using Adobe Reader, PDF-XChange or Adobe Acrobat DC in a desktop environment. For access on a tablet or mobile device, you will need the secure web viewer link.
- Download the protected PDF file that was provided to you
- Open the file using Adobe Reader DC, PDF-XChange or Adobe Acrobat DC
Enter your username and password and click LOGIN
- Click 'Allow' on the communication prompt - this allows the PDF to communicate to the server to authenticate you
NOTE: if you download a protected PDF file using Google Chrome, it may try to open the PDF with Chrome's built-in PDF viewer which will NOT work. You must download the file and open it with Adobe Reader or Acrobat, or PDF-XChange.
To avoid this from happening:
- Click on the arrow and select 'show in folder'
- Change the default for all PDFs by clicking on "Change All (For Windows Users): right-click on the secured PDF file and click on 'Properties'; in the window that pops up: If you see your preferred app in the “Opens with” section, click cancel otherwise if you DO NOT see your preferred app, click “Change”, then find the app and click OK
(For Mac Users): right-click on the secured PDF file and click on 'Get Info'; in the window that pops up, click the arrow next to Open With and choose your preffered preferred PDF app; Change the default for all PDFs by clicking on "Change All"
To learn more watch the End User Experience video: